Natural cleaning products
Chemicals are linked to fertility issues so here are some tried and tested suggestions for chemical free cleaning. Lose the chemical laden cleaning products and stock up with some white vinegar, baking soda and clove oil.
White distilled vinegar
- Add 1 cup of vinegar to 1 cup water and use for cleaning surfaces like your fridge, benches, walls and mirrors.
- Spray full-strength vinegar to kill bathroom germs and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- Pour a cup or more of vinegar into a toilet bowl and let sit overnight then scrub well in the morning.
- Wash fruit and vegetables with 2 tablespoons of vinegar mixed in 2 cups of water to remove pesticide residue, then rinse with water thoroughly.
- Descale a kettle with equal parts vinegar and water, boil, let sit for 30 minutes, then tip water out and rinse the inside of the kettle twice to remove any vinegar residue.
This list is only the beginning! Click here to find out more ways to use vinegar.
- Mix with a little water and use as you would any gritty cleaning product. Great for cleaning bathtubs, sinks, BBQs or anything else which could use a scrub.
- Sprinkle into the toilet bowl and clean as usual.
- Add 1 cup to your usual laundry liquid/powder to whiten your laundry and eliminate odours.
- Remove baked-on food in pots and pans by putting a generous amount of baking soda around the residue, add hot water and dishwashing detergent and let sit for 15 minutes before cleaning.
- Brighten your floor by mopping with 1/2 cup of baking soda in a bucket of warm water.
- Add a few drops of clove oil to warm water and wipe down your walls and bathroom with it. Also remember to open up your doors and windows to help dry out your environment and prevent mould growing.
- Remove mould by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of clove oil with a litre of water into a spray bottle, spray onto mould and leave for a few hours (test patch first), then wipe mould off with wet cloth or brush, then spray more to stop mould growing back.
For other natural cleaning solutions click here.
If you have any ideas on cleaning without harsh chemicals share them with us, we’d love to hear them!